Sick chicken

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Srunicorn69
Chick
Chick

Sick chicken

Post by Srunicorn69 » 01 Aug 2014, 16:35

Hi all. My young chicken had been ill. She had runny nose and discharge from her mouth( clear like saliva but thick). She was lethargic and just sat on her own. Separated her and I had to syringe drops of water down her because she wouldn't eat or drink.she has had doxycycline to try and clear it up as I can't get hold of tylan. She's pulling through now and has just started eating very moist layers crumble, mealworms and some corn and maize. She's eating as if she finds it hard to eat but she is eating some food. She has now started gaping and her nare is showing a bit of dried yellow mucus around it, so she's obviously not well yet. I was wondering if it's gape worm, but she had flubenvet about two months ago with the rest of the flock. If it's gape worm can she be wormed again in such a short time?
Please help!

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Re: Sick chicken

Post by laffinfowl » 01 Aug 2014, 16:45

Have you checked the birds crop,if its not a respiratory problem its possibly a crop impaction or sour crop,plenty of info on it if you type Sour Crop into the search engine top right hand corner.

Srunicorn69
Chick
Chick

Post by Srunicorn69 » 01 Aug 2014, 16:55

Her crop is empty, you can't feel anything in there. That's what I first thought when I saw her ruffled up. I wondered if it was like cankers, is that the one that has sores in the throat?

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 01 Aug 2014, 17:54

Did your vet give you the doxycycline? If so, why that rather than Tylan?
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

Srunicorn69
Chick
Chick

Post by Srunicorn69 » 01 Aug 2014, 19:46

No I haven't been to the vet yet. My local pet shop gave it me to try first as I was desperate to try and get her to live.