Chicken not well need help!!!

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

grassman675

Chicken not well need help!!!

Post by grassman675 » 17 Jul 2014, 20:41

Hi,
About a day ago i noticed that one of my chickens (a white leghorn aged about 2 i think) wasn't looking to good wasn't walking around clucking and going like the others just looked tired if you know what i mean didn't look good. i looked at her everything looked okay so i left her and decided i would wait and see what she is like in the morning. She didn't come out of the chicken house straight away she just stayed in there all the others were out feeding. A minute ago i went out to put the chickens in the run as getting dark didn't want the fox to get them. i used corn as usual to do this all the others came but she wasn't interested i put my hand down dropped some corn in front of her. didn't even touch it where as she would usually eat the whole lot. i then decided to catch her and check her again. her crop sack was watery like there was just water in there then as i was holding her she was sick the sick was watery and was a misty sort of colour. does anyone know what i could do?
thanks

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Chicken not well need help!!!

Post by Henwife » 18 Jul 2014, 08:01

Sour Crop. Isolate and give either Soda Water or bicarbonate of soda (1teaspoon to a pint of water). Upend her & massage her crop so she can expel the liquid, but only for brief periods as she needs to breathe. Do this several times a day, but don't over stress her.
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 18 Jul 2014, 09:53

Oral Daktarin is also good sour crop. Squeeze a dollop down her throat and it should start to work quite quickly. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

grassman675

Post by grassman675 » 19 Jul 2014, 16:04

thanks guys