RED MITE ALERT!!

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

RED MITE ALERT!!

Post by crazypianolady » 12 Jul 2014, 08:44

Just saying, folks...............Have you thoroughly checked your coops this week? ;)

OH has been on chicken duty while I've been busy nursing sprained ankles. I managed to hobble into the run and thought I'd check.........and there the little bloodsuckers :evil: were! Only a small patch............but...............

So today's priority is to dismantle the coop (Green Frog, no problem), give it a a really good hot soapy wash and use the Ficam W.

:)

subruss

Re: RED MITE ALERT!!

Post by subruss » 12 Jul 2014, 17:12

Ficam w for the win :thumbright:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 14 Jul 2014, 09:47

Had a very small outbreak in the newbies coop the other week. Ficam'd their asses (with Ficam that was mixed 7 months ago might I add) and not seen one since. I'm ordering some fresh stuff this week to give them all a blast over before my friend chicken sits for us in a few weeks time.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 14 Jul 2014, 10:06

Just adding, Fairy Platinum washing up liquid makes a really good job of cleaning plastic coops - and's it's a darn sight cheaper than Poultry Shield....................... ;) :grin:

drfish
Location: Head in the clouds, on a high bit in Nottinghamshire

Post by drfish » 14 Jul 2014, 11:22

Fairy liquid suffocates them too. The thick oily stuff blocks their breathing ventricles, as well as making the water wetter by breaking it's surface tension.
Giving power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to a teenage boy - P. J. O'Rourke (thanks Jessie)

It's amazing that people can believe everything is predestined but they still look both ways when crossing the road - Stephen Hawking

1 Wife, 3 children, 1 Staffie Bitch (RIP Marley), 1 Chi-Chi, 1 Tuxedo Cat, 1 part Maine Coon cat, male bearded dragon, Horsefield Tortoise, 2 White Silkies, 1 Frizzle Pekin, 1 CLB, 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben Cockerel, 1 blue laced Wyandotte, 3 Appenzeller x Wynadotte pullets, 1 Call drake, 3 khaki Campbell ducks, 4 (2 male 2 female?) Aylesbury x Campbells, a breeding colony of Dubia cockroaches.

And a lot of Ibuprofen.