Poop the colour of chewing gum

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

oldmacdorow
Chick
Chick

Poop the colour of chewing gum

Post by oldmacdorow » 15 Jun 2014, 15:56

photo (1).JPG
It is another poo question!

The colour of my chickens poo has changed from the usual greenish/brown colour with a white bit on top to a strange creamy/grey (old) chewing gum colour. Is it quite splatty too. I've had a look of the famous poo chart, but can't see anything like it.

Does anybody know why this might be? Could it be that they are adjusting to layers pellets again, after a couple of weeks on mash, or do I need to worm them again?

I can't go by whether they are laying or not, as I think I adopted menopausal hens. They are about three years old and the only one that was laying died a couple of weeks ago. (I'm pretty sure that she was egg bound and there have been no eggs since she passed.)

Any suggestions/advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Diane
Hen
Hen

Re: Poop the colour of chewing gum

Post by Diane » 16 Jun 2014, 10:01

oldmacdorow
Chick
Chick

Post by oldmacdorow » 22 Jun 2014, 12:26

I've got some like that due to the warmer temperatures this week, but these have been going on since before it warmed up. They are coming from one chicken and it is almost like she's not digesting the pellets properly. Previous pops have been a much darker colour. She always got a pooey bum so I'm having to bath her on an almost weekly basis to stop creatures living in her bottom. The other two chickens don't seem to be affected. Very odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by kated » 22 Jun 2014, 16:51

Dirty bums are often a sign of worms - but not always. Wouldn't hurt to worm again with flubenvet of course.

oldmacdorow
Chick
Chick

Post by oldmacdorow » 27 Jun 2014, 19:26

Sorry, I've only just seen this. I'm going to worm them again, but I think it might be something else.
I've come home from work to find the same chicken in a bad way. She was huddled up in a pile of earth and hasn't moved out of the way of a drip, as it has been raining this afternoon. When I went in to the enclosure she didn't run off and she's walking strangely. She doesn't want to move much at all and when she did it was in a strange way. She was almost dragging herself along and seems really weak. She's normally quite a feisty bird, but she isn't making any noise. Her comb is really shrunken and she doesn't seem interested in food or drink. I've had a look through a book that I have and I'm concerned that it might be fowl typhoid. She matches a lot of the symptoms, which includes chalky white droppings! Something that I hadn't spotted when I loomed through it last time. Sadly it says that without antibiotics it has high levels of mortality and my vets have now closed for the evening.
I've given her a bath in the hopes that it clears up the yucky bottom and stops any infection and put her inside the coop.
I'm planning on taking her to the vets tomorrow morning, assuming that he makes it through the night.
I'm not doing very well at the moment, as another one got egg bound and died about three weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk