Mites

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Mites

Post by crazypianolady » 05 Jun 2014, 08:37

In spite of my best efforts, my broody pekin has got mites. (Not red mite!) She's now got four chicks with her.

I've put her in a different coop with plenty of diatom and ant powder in the bedding, but can't decide what to treat her with. If anything yet. Her chicks are so tiny I don't want to risk poisoning them, but obviously they'll be under attack as well. :?

Your thoughts, please!

:)

subruss

Re: Mites

Post by subruss » 05 Jun 2014, 09:13

I would just dust her with louse powder or whatever you normally use for lice the chicks will be fine they will benefit from the ant powder and diatom in the bedding just don't over do it with the ant powder :)

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 05 Jun 2014, 13:28

Thanks, that 's pretty much what I'd decided. Always good to have a second opinion that agrees with me! ;) :grin:

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 06 Jun 2014, 06:54

I'd probably give her some Ivermectin or equivalent too. I coated an ant-filled small wooden coop with ant powder a month ago. Yesterday I watched several ants happily wading through the powder ... I'm more-or-less completely using plastic, or creosote painted coops now, as I'm so sick of battling creepy crawlies on my poor birds.

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by crazypianolady » 06 Jun 2014, 08:31

Lindsay wrote:I'd probably give her some Ivermectin or equivalent too. I'm more-or-less completely using plastic, or creosote painted coops now, as I'm so sick of battling creepy crawlies on my poor birds.
I daren't risk using drops on her for fear of poisoning her chicks. :(

This little rabbit hutch was the last of my wooden housing - I changed to plastic several years ago. And now it's gone on next-door's latest bonfire I'm wood free! :lol:

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 07 Jun 2014, 07:09

crazypianolady wrote:
Lindsay wrote:
This little rabbit hutch was the last of my wooden housing - I changed to plastic several years ago. And now it's gone on next-door's latest bonfire I'm wood free! :lol:
Same here :grin: Green Frog coops, but I can't bear to waste my children's ex-guinea pig and rabbit hutches. And I've yet to find something cheap and weatherproof for broodies. I have 3 at the moment, and I've been looking into plastic barrels, but with the occasional extreme weather we can get out here, it is really hard to find something suitable.

subruss

Post by subruss » 07 Jun 2014, 09:38

Use ficam w then you wont have to waste any wooden coops/hutches, expensive but it works :thumbright:

organic chick
Chick
Chick

Post by organic chick » 07 Jun 2014, 13:22

How about a cheap plastic dog kennel?
Penny and Freckles - the WArren Girls'
Star and Flopsy (the latter of the floppy comb) both members of the White Star Faction.
Fedora and Florence the Cream Legbars
Emily (see Emily lay) and Erica the Light Sussex babes
1 current husband aka the structural engineer
1 large organic allotment
The Lady Isabella Pickford-Fiennes, a feline of distinction and excellent mouser

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 07 Jun 2014, 17:19

organic chick wrote:How about a cheap plastic dog kennel?
I've looked at them - the problem is that 'cheap' and 'France' don't really work in the same sentence ...