A Rear End Issue

Here is the section to ask for help and advice on poultry health matters. You should remember that we and our members may not be qualified to diagnose problems with your animals or to prescribe medications. If you are at all worried you should consult a vet. Any advice is just what each member has found to have worked in their own situation and does not constitute a diagnosis from a member of The Poultry Keeper Forums.

Moderator: Moderators

feelag
Chick
Chick

A Rear End Issue

Post by feelag » 03 Aug 2012, 21:45

I have a mother and daughter pair of hens. The mother is currently consistently laying soft shelled eggs. As a result she strains a little with these and there is a white discharge (calcium around the vent) from straining. Apart from this she seems fine, eating well, meandering round the garden and generally herself. The daughter is laying regular hard shelled eggs, but seems to have an issue also with a white deposit from her vent and when I checked her yesterday and today, it seems as though she has a prolapse with what looks like poo stuck to it. There was also some blood in the coop which I suspect is from her from her vent, as I could see no other injury on any other bird. She too is fine, eating well and meandering around, running for corn.

To help the mother with the soft shelled eggs, I have put mixed grit in their mash, rather than just in a separate bowl, and also started putting calcium into the water. Until two days ago the daughter has had no problem so could the extra calcium be causing her problems?

My other two hens are fine except one is now broody again (Grrrr) and the pekin that has been broody for about 3 months solidly is now back to normal and laying again.

Any suggestions or advice please?
Thanks
Sheelagh

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Re: A Rear End Issue

Post by son of eddy » 03 Aug 2012, 22:45

If she's had a prolapse you can try giving it a good clean up with a mild antiseptic disinfectant [savlon] put plenty of vaseline/KY jelly on the prolapse and push it back in. The vets could put a stitch in to try and hold in the prolapse but it will probably keep coming out and the hen may need to be culled. I don't think its the increased calcium thats done it not in just two days. If she's not egg bound then she might have laid a large egg that caused it.
The hen can not be left like this as she's likely to be pecked at and she will develop a very bad infection that will kill her slowly.

Henwife
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Henwife » 04 Aug 2012, 07:51

Upend them both under a running garden tap and clean their bums. When clean and dry, apply some vaseline to stop anything else sticking and leave them for a couple of days. Soft shelled eggs don't cause a hen to strain - it's usually the oversized ones that cause problems and may result in small tears which heal quickly. If she's always laid soft shelled eggs there are other, more serious, causes than poor calcium take up, but as she appears healthy you may have to accept these or cull her. Are you sure the white deposit is calcium?
Guinea fowl & a lot of surplus poultry equipment.

feelag
Chick
Chick

Post by feelag » 04 Aug 2012, 10:50

The mother hasn't always laid soft shelled eggs, but they are larger than normal for a bantie. I'm not sure if the white deposit is calcium - it was just an assumption, some of it may be natural fluids coming out if straining to lay.
Neither are egg bound and certainly the daughter is laying every day. Can be hard to say if the mother is laying a soft shell every day as the hens eat them as soon as they are laid and if I'm lucky they may leave a little of the shell.
There is no sign of any one being pecked, in fact everything is normal in the group. While they're both happy, eating, running around as normal, no infections I'm keeping them. I won't cull unless they're ill.

I'll try washing them both and putting some vaseline on them.

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 04 Aug 2012, 13:04

feelag wrote: seems as though she has a prolapse with what looks like poo stuck to it.
feelag wrote: everything is normal in the group.
Sorry but that dosen't sound like normal to me.
feelag wrote: Any suggestions or advice please?

When people ask for advice I offer all round advice as I don't see what the person requesting advice see's, I only see what is described to me. You are of course free to take or leave that advice as you feel fit.
feelag wrote: no infections I'm keeping them. I won't cull unless they're ill.

Nobody is suggesting otherwise, what I said was -
son of eddy wrote: The vets could put a stitch in to try and hold in the prolapse but it will probably keep coming out and the hen may need to be culled.

If you are happy to accept things the way they are thats fine, no problems,
Your hens
Your responsibility
Your choice
feelag wrote:I'll try washing them both and putting some vaseline on them.

Funny I thought it was only one hen with a prolapse? But as my advice does not seem to have been particuarly well received I will drop out of this one and stop causing you offence with it.

feelag
Chick
Chick

Post by feelag » 04 Aug 2012, 14:49

Son of eddy, I haven't taken any offence and sorry if you thought I had. I'm grateful for all advice as I've only been keeping hens for about 15 months. It is only one of them with the prolapse, the mother just seems to have dirty feathers round her vent.
The prolapse has been put back in but she keeps popping it out and it looks like she feels she needs to poo or lay as she keeps pushing. Looking at the "prolapse" it looks like there is old poo or dead skin stuck to it even after bathing. However, I'm pretty sure she has laid this morning already.
I'm going to isolate her, and keep her as quiet as possible to see if that helps. None of the other hens are bothering her and trying to peck or anything, hence my comment that everything else is normal in the group.

jemma

Post by jemma » 04 Aug 2012, 19:22

Try using hemroid cream on her that came sometimes help keep a prolapse in place

bluebird

Post by bluebird » 05 Aug 2012, 00:57

Hi Feelag, I am sorry to hear that you're having problems with these 2 hens, especially as you havn't had them very long. There are a few things you could try to make the hens more comfortable and are as follows:
1) You could try adding codliver oil either to their feed or you could smear a little over a small piece of bread, break it up and feed it to them and do this for a week to see if there is any improvement. The vitamins in the codliver oil help with the absorbtion of calcium when the shell is being formed.
2)It may help to add oil of liquid parafin to their feed, it will help them to pass their poo easier and reduce straining, thus helping the prolapse situation. Years ago they used to give this to humans to relieve constipation!
3) Make sure that the hens are getting adequate greenstuff in their diet.
If you have to get the prolapse in again, make sure you evacuate any poo by gently squeezing the shiny red part between your fingers. This should help to get it back in again. I always wear those tight fitting gloves to do this and I also keep the area clean by using a mild saline solution (a rounded teaspoon of salt dissolved in 200ml warm water would be fine). You may have to do this several times before it stays in. It also depends on how bad the prolapse is.
What does concern me though the fact that it is mother and daughter hens having problems, it may suggest that there is something congenital going on in their egglaying systems, perhaps something that you can't do anything about. The other thing is that egg problems can be difficult to correct and sometimes the outlook is not good. You may be able to prolong the lives of these hens but often, ultimately they will succumb for example to an infection or the prolapse will be beyond getting back in again. Nevertheless, I hope that there will be a good outcome for you and your hens.

feelag
Chick
Chick

Post by feelag » 05 Aug 2012, 12:55

Hi Bluebird, thanks for the advice. I'll try the cod liver oil and oil of liquid parafin. I have tried giving them greens but they just don't touch them. I too wondered if it was a congenital condition although slightly different between the two hens, hence why I put them in the same post. I'd like to do the best I can for them, but understand they may succumb to infection and start to deteriorate.
Thanks for the advice.

feelag
Chick
Chick

Post by feelag » 12 Jul 2014, 10:11

Can't believe it's nearly 2 years since I posted the problem. Update is that the one that laid softshelled eggs finally passed away early this year (reason unknown) and hadn't seemed to be ill at all. The one with the prolapse is fine and laying eggs well. Thanks for the advice given. I kept this one quiet for a couple of days be herself confined to a small box, cleaned her up and put some haemorroid cream on her and I haven't seen any issues since - and she still lays the largest eggs of all the hens.