Suitable housing for a trio?

Moderator: Moderators

Charlemagne

Suitable housing for a trio?

Post by Charlemagne » 25 Feb 2009, 14:44

Would something like this be suitable for a trio, would be for large fowl like Barnevelder or similar.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3DWatching

Has anyone got one of these and are able to provide a reveiw for me?

x

Diane
Hen
Hen

Re: Suitable housing for a trio?

Post by Diane » 25 Feb 2009, 15:06

Looks a tad small for three large fowl. Three bantams would be ok.

telster

Post by telster » 25 Feb 2009, 20:04

watch out for the dreaded red mite in the grooves , i found out the hard way.

Magpie

Post by Magpie » 25 Feb 2009, 22:36

I have one of those without the nestbox. It is fine for a trio of Dutch bantams (which are tiny) but I wouldn't keep large fowl in it as there isn't enough width for one bird to flap its wings. I did use it as a hospital house for a single LF Sussex once but only for a couple of days.

Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne » 26 Feb 2009, 10:12

Ok, I thought that might be the case, I think i'll order a free standing house and build a run surrounding it, as I like them to have room to flap their wings and move about happily. x

Elly

Post by Elly » 26 Feb 2009, 12:20

Charlemagne wrote:Ok, I thought that might be the case, I think i'll order a free standing house and build a run surrounding it, as I like them to have room to flap their wings and move about happily. x

You could buy a shed for that amount and add nesting areas and perches. The chooks would have more room and it is easier to clean properly :grin: http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/ ... rden-sheds
Keep smilin
Elly

Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne » 26 Feb 2009, 12:28

Good idea, a shed would be too large though, it would be ok if I just had one hen house, but i'm looking to separate my chicks up into their breeding trios, so I need four individual houses with pens. I still want them to have enough room in their pens though so I will get my hubby to make those. x

badelynge01

Post by badelynge01 » 14 Oct 2017, 12:20

Charlemagne wrote:Ok, I thought that might be the case, I think i'll order a free standing house and build a run surrounding it, as I like them to have room to flap their wings and move about happily. x
I bought a shed online just enough for my 4 Rhode Island chickens last summer. I got the BillyOh 4000 8x8 shed from http://whatshed.co.uk/8x8-sheds/. If you can see the space is enough for chickens to roam around. The large door opening and window design is perfect for light to come in. Though I sill needs to create a deck on the roof to make room for my gardening tools. The shed also lacks pressure treatment and extended warranty. But other than that, I'm happy in buying this shelter for my chickens.

CP

Post by CP » 15 Oct 2017, 10:09

Welcome to the forum badelynge01. :)

Glad you've bought a large shed for your chickens as I'm sure you will get more in the future....we all do! :lol:

However, if you got the one from your link, it says that it HAS been treated & even has a 15 year warranty, so why are you stating it hasn't? :-k
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

badelynge01

Post by badelynge01 » 15 Oct 2017, 11:15

Hello CP!

Thanks you for welcoming me. There's not much going on around here. But I was able to read some old threads.

About my shed I guess you are looking at Strongman Apex Premier Tanalised 8x8 sheds from http://whatshed.co.uk/8x8-sheds/

What I got is the BillyOh 4000 8x8 Sheds. You can check that out too. :)