Putting newly hatched chicks back with mum?

Moderator: Moderators

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Putting newly hatched chicks back with mum?

Post by goatlady » 16 Apr 2014, 05:33

Against my better judgement, I let one of my Brahmas sit on some eggs. She broke several early on, but four were still good on Monday, and starting to pip. She crushed the first chick to death as it was trying to get out of the shell, and so I took away the other three, replaced them with some golf balls, and put them in the incubator to finish hatching. Two are out, and the last one has pipped. I really don't want to be looking after two or three chicks when I have a group of 3-week old growers on the go, so I would like to give them back to mum. Should I put the first two back now, and the third one if and when it comes out? Or wait and put them all back at the same time? The hen is in a box in the garage, so I can keep it dark in there when I introduce the chicks.

Any other advice is welcome, as I haven't done this before. I don't usually let my chickens sit, as my record with broodies is abysmal. :(

crazypianolady
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: Putting newly hatched chicks back with mum?

Post by crazypianolady » 16 Apr 2014, 07:41

Brahmas can be clumsy oafs, can't they? :(

Once the chicks are dried out and standing okay, maybe try putting them right next to her at night time. (Tonight for the two already out.) Hopefully she'll just tuck them under her and that'll be job done! But be prepared for her to reject them or even attack them. :(

Good luck!

:)

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 16 Apr 2014, 07:49

I've already done it... The third one was out shortly after my last post, and I decided to take them all down to her and tuck them under her wing in the dark. They cheeped a lot at first, but she didn't attack them. It's all gone quiet now, and she's sitting there quite calmly in the near dark with the chicks under her somewhere - so either she's killed them already or she's getting used to the idea.

Clumsy oafs indeed!

subruss

Post by subruss » 16 Apr 2014, 11:52

exactly the right way to do it.I do this all the time and often I put other chicks that are within a week of the hatching in with them and even some that hatch a few days after, it works 99% of the time. O yes and saves electric :lol:

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 16 Apr 2014, 22:43

My black Brahma started being broody on Monday ( her first time ), so we'll see how many eggs make it in 3 weeks time [-o< :roll:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 17 Apr 2014, 05:31

I always regret giving eggs to Brahmas ](*,)!

But she has accepted the chicks back and is proving an attentive mother, so not all bad this time.

Good luck with your black Brahma, ladyplumber.

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 17 Apr 2014, 07:56

Thanks goatlady. I thought it was worth a go cos I've only incubator hatched so far. The eggs arrived yesterday, so shortly I'll have to don a suit of armour and shoo her off her adopted BlackRock eggs, replacing them with Gold Laced Orpingtons.

I'm putting 12 under her in the hope that I'll get SOME chicks at the end, and she'll easily cover them - she's pancaked to the size of a serving tray ! :roll:
1 BlackRock 2 Speckledys 1 Black Brahma 3 Light Sussex 1 Auracana 1 (noisy) Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 Marans x Cream Legbar
4 Barnvelder x Cream Legbar 1 Blue Splash Orpington 2 Chocolate Orpington 5 Gold Laced Orpington

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 17 Apr 2014, 08:23

Just a word of warning, ladyplumber: I know I'm very biased against using broodies, and I'm sure there are countless people out there who will contradict me - but I would never give eggs I had bought to a Brahma to look after. The chances of losing them all are far too high. I only ever give them eggs I don't mind losing.

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 17 Apr 2014, 09:57

Ha Ha !

I take on board your advice gl, but unfortunately I can't get hold of some locally. I'll just have to take pot luck :thumbright:

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 17 Apr 2014, 10:03

Just keep an eye on her at hatching time. I've found a lot of squashed newly-hatched chicks under Brahmas, which is sad when they've gone through all that hard work to get out. If necessary, do what I did and finish them off safely in the incubator, before putting them back under her wing at night. Good luck!!

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 17 Apr 2014, 21:51

Thanks for the advice g.l, I'll give progress reports ( my fingers are tightly crossed ! ) :thumbright:

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 21 Apr 2014, 07:32

Just when I thought they were safe.... she managed to squash one of them in the night. Started with nine eggs. Now she has only two chicks left.

ladyplumber

Post by ladyplumber » 21 Apr 2014, 08:56

:( What a shame. Pepper's not squashed any so far, but there's plenty of time yet 8-[