Ixworth

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 10 Jun 2007, 08:35

yes i'll have some possibly by then - how many would you need? I'll be living at the norolk rare breed centre by then and they have a flock too so we could both club together if you wanted? our birds arent related in any immediate way i dont think!

can you remember where you sent your birds? How long ago was this please?

tuzo2k

Post by tuzo2k » 11 Jun 2007, 06:59

Hi - impossible to remember everyone who bought Ixworths etc as it was three years ago, but The Roslyn Institute had about 2-300 day old chicks for their weight gain programme (also white sussex and white dorking), Bristol University has Ixworths and Marams, Deffra had white sussex, light sussex, dorkings and ixworths. The Rare Breeds Survival Trust (via Peter King) distributed other Ixworths to well-respected breeders). We are currently trying to track down the whereabouts of some of these birds and their offspring - but as you know you have to be very, very aware of the fact that some poultry-keepers will "dabble" and the resultant offspring do not have the same genetic makeup as the original birds, with fatal results (hybrids in effect which look like the original breed!!). We would never buy birds or eggs without first knowing the provenance - although this is extremely difficult to prove - and any new acquisitions would never be introduced into the pens of existing lines. They would be kept separate for several years until proven reliable for type, egg-colour etc. We are extremely serious about the standards of birds and are appalled at the amount of birds being called "cream-crested legbars" when they are in fact crosses of one sort or other - but that's another subject. Sorry to go on a bit b..u..t..

tuzo2k

Post by tuzo2k » 11 Jun 2007, 07:04

sorry - few typos - in haste. {Marams - obviously should be Marans}

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 11 Jun 2007, 08:34

quick hijack

sounds like there could be some white dorkings around ,i'm having a real job finding birds ,
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

CP

Post by CP » 11 Jun 2007, 08:39

Thought you'd be jumping in here Suz! :)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 11 Jun 2007, 09:03

Well, I havent crossed my ickys yet but probably at some point in the future I will be doing, fertility isn't that great even though I have four different strains. I don't consider it too heinous a crime in this situation because ixworths are a relatively 'new' breed and we know what went into them. If we refuse to do any crossing we could face losing them anyway. Adding something fresh just to pick them up a bit is fine, but selling them before they fit the standard would be wrong. Some people are just too eager to get that money into their pockets!

tuzo2k

Post by tuzo2k » 11 Jun 2007, 11:14

What do you call a 'relatively new' breed.

CP

Post by CP » 11 Jun 2007, 12:12

Bred in the 1930's according to this website.

http://www.julianprojects.co.uk/ixworth_chickens.htm
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

tuzo2k

Post by tuzo2k » 11 Jun 2007, 15:33

Sorry - I do know when they were bred (In 1932) but they are not what I would call 'relatively new breed' - so my question to the other poster still stands. Thanks

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 11 Jun 2007, 16:52

personally i'd call anything under 100 years a new breed - ixworths, autosexers, that sort of thing. When you look at dorkings and OEGs which go back thousands of years, that's old. It would be very difficult to mix new blood into them without ruining them because they are the product of thousands of years of selection, not just one man, and their component 'breeds' are looong gone.

tuzo2k

Post by tuzo2k » 11 Jun 2007, 20:34

The comoponents parts for the ixworth are also long gone as there are no commercial indian game in any colour also white orpingtons are all show type. When we had our ixworths they laid between 260 to 280 eggs a year and that is not just my say-so that was also proven by Peter King of the rbst and Geoff Cloke also of the rbst. Geoff was probably the saviour of the ixworth as a breed in the late seventys, as he kept lots of records of eggs and breeding pens so the last thing the breed needs is people meddling with them when they have scant knowledge of what has happend in the past. It would be very naive of anyone to think that the genetic make up of the very old breeds has not changed over recent years as serious poultry keepers struggle to keep the breeds strong, fertile and true to standard,including Dorkings, OEGs, OEPF to name but a few. I make no apologies for the "rant".

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 11 Jun 2007, 21:14

Thats all very well but if fertility is bad and the breed fading away, what do you do. No point struggling to save a breed made up of sickly individuals, better to just inject some vitality. Although i do take your point and would be furious at anybody selling anything not to standard as ixworth. What i would do is try to track down some utility white wyandottes, imported if necessary, and use them ONCE, then breed back to ixworth from then on.

milkmaid
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by milkmaid » 11 Jun 2007, 21:16

that's why i'm having problems sourcing the white dorking ,it's really hard
especally as i have never seen one in the flesh apart from the 2 i have now,and there are very few pics on the net ,i'm also thinking of trap nest boxes , they came from a dorking breeder in hants any advise would be greatfully recieved ,i'm trying to do the right thing by the breed ,but i live on an island ,and due to livestock ect ,cannot go to the mainland ,if you have any advise could you answer on the white dorking thread :D
suz
rose comb white dorking nut

tuzo2k

Post by tuzo2k » 11 Jun 2007, 23:26

I cannot believe that the fertility of the Ixworths has dropped from the high level they were when I had them to how you now say they are. Have you really exhausted all available sources - e.g. RBST, Andrew Sheppy, Rare Poultry Society. Why would you consider putting the white Wyandotte into the Ixworth, when it was never part of its original makeup - if you have to why not use a White Sussex which was in its original makeup, but it does have to be a commercial WS, but preferably use nothing at all - the Ixworths must be out there somewhere.

traditionalbritishfowlco

Post by traditionalbritishfowlco » 12 Jun 2007, 09:17

wyandottes were in the original mix. I have four different strains, and also I know of other people who are really struggling - in fact I havent had one person tell me their ixworths are very fertile!