Dutch Bantams

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Matthew Waller

Re: Dutch Bantams

Post by Matthew Waller » 30 May 2010, 23:14

IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg

all the good pics up to date to today:P 3 weeks left till they go out side for the first time eeeeeeeee:P:D i have other eggs in incubator as well so should get some silkies and langshans:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Waller

Post by Matthew Waller » 25 Aug 2010, 11:57

does enyone have a trio of gold dutch bantams for sale ????? and an extra male i trade with the male i already have as i dont want eny related males in the group im trying to set up. :P:D

andee

Post by andee » 25 Aug 2010, 16:40

Hi, my first post here. I recently made a coop from some old garage doors and a run. We'd been touring locale markets for some time for some Bantam size hens and found these 3 in Bayeux. The seller referred to them only as "babettes" which seems to be a colloquial term for anything small.

Someone suggested that perhaps they were silver dutch partridge bantams. Is it possible for anyone to verify from these pics.

We were told that they were good flyers and would need their flight feathers cutting. We were also told that they were all hens but one appears to have a more prominent comb then the others. Could this be a coq? If they are dutch bantams are the cocks particularly noisy. I've forgotten how old the chap said they were but he did say that they should start laying in 4-5 weeks.

Many thanks

Andy

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 25 Aug 2010, 22:46

One is definately a silver partridge dutch , and no there not that noisy.http://www.dutchbantamclub.org/PictureGallery.htm

Matthew Waller

Post by Matthew Waller » 25 Aug 2010, 23:10

ye they look like lemon Porcelain or cuckoo cross with silver partridge dont they. i would think probably cockoo cross

andee

Post by andee » 26 Aug 2010, 08:17

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Andy

Matthew Waller

Post by Matthew Waller » 20 Sep 2010, 16:11

anyone have a pair or trio of red pyle or pyle dutch bantams for sale? message me if so :D

thanks

matthew

jojosarah

Post by jojosarah » 20 Sep 2010, 16:42

babies 004.JPG
This chick is 5 days old and quite unusual as non of my other chicks have been born looking like this. It looks spookily like a dutch bantam chick, but from looking at the adult photos i have nothing in my flock that looks remotely like a dutch bantam. I hatched a mixed batch of eggs in february and had 5 hens and 1 cockerell, these chicks are from the eggs the hens have laid. Is there a chance that there is dutch bantam somewhere along the line that has come out in the next line?
hatchling 003.JPG
babies 003.JPG
It's the eye liner that makes me think it's a dutch bantam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tussell

Post by tussell » 20 Sep 2010, 18:28

is it a big or little chick. as dutch bantams are tiny, it could be anything partridge. (males black/red and females with yellow/orange neck and brownish bodies)

jojosarah

Post by jojosarah » 20 Sep 2010, 19:57

It's tiny. This pic was taken at 2 days old the chick next to it is 2 weeks old and chief baby sitter as it was a lone egg hatch, altogether now aaahhhhhhhh.
babies 003.JPG

Matthew Waller

Post by Matthew Waller » 20 Sep 2010, 22:34

hehe giant chicks :P where did these dutch look a like come from? I have had a black silkie that weirdly enough looked abit like a dutch new born chicks.

also i dont see why a dutch bantam line shouldnt of come through after all breeding two diffrent bird to make a hybred can then have compleatly diffrent chicks? so this is just the same just with a gene jumping a generation. your best asking as genetic scientist but i dont see why not thinking back to high school biology X,Y Genes:P

jojosarah

Post by jojosarah » 21 Sep 2010, 08:09

Hi MW

If you search for this topic 'Identifying breeds, a new challenge....please' you will see pics of my girls and the cockerell was a Maran, there is nothing that looks remotely like a DB.
Also the other chick is from the same five girls and cockerell mix, and the five chicks were all black with yellow or yellow with black markings. This is the first one i have seen with such striking brown markings.

This chick is so intriguing i , can't wait to see how it turns out and hoping its a girly, because it is so sweet natured and calm when handled. The bigger chick reminds me of a raptor from Jurrasic park, hee hee.

I think your gene jumping theory may be right, i hatched the hens from a mixed batch of eggs, the lady has 200+ hens running with 20 cockerells. I wanted the mix of colours, shapes and sizes and have certainly got that, i have also got myself a bit of a mystery flock. Never mind they are all healthy, good layers and with great personalities.

CP

Post by CP » 21 Sep 2010, 08:49

The eyestripe isn't as bold as in the top pics on this page so perhaps its not a pure breed(you said there's lots running together). Maybe it has Welsummer in there as they have the eyestripe too. ;)
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

Matthew Waller

Post by Matthew Waller » 21 Sep 2010, 12:23

thanks :D i liked mt theory aswell i sounded very smart :P dont forget CP your chicks arnt two three weeks old so they might not be as bold yet im not to sure if its ment to go bolder :P but hey who.

hope it turns out be a dutch bantam for silkie! :P

matthew

fifi1705

Post by fifi1705 » 27 Sep 2010, 17:05

Hi everyone :grin: this is my first post and i would like some help with this little fella im told its a blue partridge dutch bantam boy. what do you think? i would like to get him some girl friends,any ideas what colour girls would make the best babies with him? many thanks fifi