Turkeys

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

nigel
Hen
Hen

Turkeys

Post by nigel » 11 Nov 2009, 06:56

this thread is for turkeys...
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard

jennibear

Re: Turkeys

Post by jennibear » 15 Dec 2009, 22:34

We have a pair of unrelated Slate Turkeys. The hen is a pure slate and the stag is a split, as you can see from the red barring in his tail. We have managed to hatch around 14 this year, with the latest being hatched under mum - naturally. Didnt realise that the stag took an active part in incubating the eggs, sitting on them and guarding the hen. They have turned out to be fantastic parents and i will definately let them sit again next year.
DSC01296.JPG
here is mum and dad looking after the chick in a broody pen.
DSC00812.JPG
and the stag telling me to BOG OFF!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heathers.nags

Post by heathers.nags » 31 Dec 2009, 03:47

HI there..... Was very interested in this topic. I have reared two hatched eggs into two very healthy hens. Have protected them from humans over the christmas period and am now wanting to get a stag in order to breed. Was very suprized when i heard the stag took part in the upbringing of his offspring. Will have to remember this when they are born as i am wanting mine to be free range, and don't want the stag attacking everything that comes anywhere near. Will prob have a brroding pen like yours for when this happens...... lol

clairebear5

Post by clairebear5 » 29 Nov 2010, 10:37

Mork our bourbon red arrived yesterday;;keeps tapping on conservatory window ! very tame and follows me around !Dogs arent keen on him and give him wide berth lol.

CP

Post by CP » 29 Nov 2010, 14:07

As long as he doesn't start saying "Nanu nanu" you'll be fine! :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to see some piccies of him & Mindy. :grin:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero