Brahmas

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Lordy100

Re: Brahmas

Post by Lordy100 » 17 May 2010, 20:49

Can anyone give me any tips on sexing chicks? I've got some 3 week old chicks, some similar to above picture and I'm presuming they are cockerels. If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 18 May 2010, 06:48

I have found that the pullets feather up quicker than the cockerels if that helps. Got 5 x 2 week olds at the moment and believe I have 3 pullets and 2 cockerels - the "pullets" are more advanced feather wise than the other 2 - this has worked for me in the last 2 hatches I have had.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

Anne

Post by Anne » 08 Jun 2010, 17:48

Would 4 foot fences be high enough to stop my Brahmas from flying onto them?

pepsi
Chick
Chick

Post by pepsi » 08 Jun 2010, 18:11

It should but you always get some what seem to have a great ability to jump.

I have a cockerel who jumps out of his garden every morning with his girls only returning when the girls want to lay or its time to go to bed......

Today he was on the garage roof :roll: in the pouring rain waiting for me to get him down :scratch:

who says brahmas don't jump high.......................someone forgot to tell mine
Large Fowl Brahmas in gold, dark, blue, black, splash, lemon pyle, Blue Partridge, buff columbian, blue buff columbian and white.
Bantam brahmas in gold, lemon and isabellas
and our bantam silkies

http://www.oakwoodbrahmas.com

Anne

Post by Anne » 08 Jun 2010, 18:30

:lol: You always get one don't you .

pepsi
Chick
Chick

Post by pepsi » 08 Jun 2010, 18:35

but you've got to love them :lol: :lol:
Large Fowl Brahmas in gold, dark, blue, black, splash, lemon pyle, Blue Partridge, buff columbian, blue buff columbian and white.
Bantam brahmas in gold, lemon and isabellas
and our bantam silkies

http://www.oakwoodbrahmas.com

Anne

Post by Anne » 08 Jun 2010, 21:57

Very true - mine are only 2 weeks old at the moment and they are so friendly - dear little souls. Really pray they aren't all cockerels - do they feather up on their shoulders ( their little back-packs) later than other breeds? I have 2 faverolles and a barnvelder in with them and they have already got the beginings of their back-packs. :?

Minime

Post by Minime » 09 Jun 2010, 19:49

Anne wrote:Very true - mine are only 2 weeks old at the moment and they are so friendly - dear little souls. Really pray they aren't all cockerels - do they feather up on their shoulders ( their little back-packs) later than other breeds? I have 2 faverolles and a barnvelder in with them and they have already got the beginings of their back-packs. :?
Back-packs....great way to describe them...without feathering on the lower back as well...i.e just upper back and wings = cockerals (or has every year for me).
Pullets are much faster to feather up! Also cockerals will have signs of pointed hackles rather than teh rounded ones of the pullets.

Lordy100

Post by Lordy100 » 16 Jun 2010, 15:19

Has anyone in Kent got any pullets? I've had a visit from the fox this week and lost two of my lovely brahma ladies and would dearly like to replace them. Don't mind very young to grow on and preferably gold, dark or blue partridge but any suggestions welcome. I've now confined everyone to barracks and electric is going up as well.

son of eddy
Pullet
Pullet

Post by son of eddy » 17 Jun 2010, 08:09

Try the Brahma club secretary Sue Black 01792 898310. She'll have a list of breeders around your area.

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 07 Nov 2010, 20:19

i emailed her last night and still aint got a reply maybe its because i have got a really dodgy and silly email address ](*,)

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 08 Nov 2010, 13:31

Can anyone tell me if Brahmas get their adult voices later than other breeds? I bought a young Brahma a few weeks ago - she is getting her comb, and is bigger than my full-grown Isa Browns - but she still says 'Weep, weep'. She is ridiculously tame, and so gentle, but as she is one of the biggest birds I have, I just wondered ...

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 08 Nov 2010, 15:58

I find Brahmas not very vocal - my cock crows quite loud but only for a short time first thing, other than that they are quiet.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 08 Nov 2010, 19:27

Chris Kurzfeld wrote:I find Brahmas not very vocal - my cock crows quite loud but only for a short time first thing, other than that they are quiet.
Thanks for that - it is really the pitch I was wondering about. Just like a chick.

My son chose her - fell in love the first time he saw her. I wish I had found out about Brahmas beforehand - she is far too gentle to go in with the rest of my thugs. At the moment she is with the only other one roughly her age - the Bantam from Hell. I can see that I am going to have to make yet another trip to the market to get her a kind companion.

goatlady
Pullet
Pullet

Post by goatlady » 09 Nov 2010, 08:29

Brahmas take much longer to mature than other birds. My cockerels haved never crowed before nine months - although, unlike Chris Kurzfeld, I found that one of mine hardly stopped crowing once he started! He had the deepest voice of all my cockerels.

You do realise that this is the slippery slope, don't you? Once you've got one Brahma, you just have to keep on getting more. :grin: