Orpington

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

tussell

Re: Orpington

Post by tussell » 26 Nov 2010, 01:32

hmm i only really want banties, becuase they taking less time to maturity and the dont eat as much. :grin:

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 26 Nov 2010, 10:21

Sorry, I don't keep any banties at all, but will let you know if I hear of anyone with them.
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.

tussell

Post by tussell » 26 Nov 2010, 12:43

ok thanks :grin:

Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Post by Birdxman » 04 Dec 2010, 15:14

Please would someone explain the genetics of Lemon Cuckoo L/F Orpingtons please?
I want to increase our flock and would like to understand how might be the best way of going about it and if I can use other colours to help?
Thank you

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Post by MrsMopp » 07 Dec 2010, 16:42

I don't know the genetics but you can buy lemon cuckoo L/F

Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Post by Birdxman » 14 Dec 2010, 14:20

Thanks--I bought some hatching eggs and we have hatched a few from them but they also produced some Buff's as well so I was wondering if you can use Buff hens and a Lemon Cuckoo Cockeral to produce more visual Lemon Cuckoo's?
Is there a ready answer to that?

MrsMopp
Chick
Chick

Post by MrsMopp » 14 Dec 2010, 16:31

You need a wiser head than mine! There is somebody called Hen-Gen on here who is a whizz with genetics and no doubt there are others. You could try a post in the general section or even pm him direct.

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 14 Dec 2010, 16:57

Don't know if you know about this calculator - it's what I use and it's always been right so far......sorry, don't understand the genetics details though. (You might also need to use either gold or buff cuckoo as the term I think.)

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kippengenen
(If the link doesn't come through in active form, try Googling 'chicken calculator kippenjungle' and that should take you to it.)

Hope it's of some use - I'd offer to do a bird swap but I've only got Lem. ck.cockerels too! #-o
Welsummers, Vorwerks, Orpingtons in (taking a deep breath....)black-buff-buff columbian-crele -partridge & red, two totally indolent equines, two occasionally useful(ish) German Shepherds, one non feral feral cat (who is NOT going to live indoors however pitifully he might sit with his nose pressed against the window - OK I've lost, he's got his own cushion now....) and a partridge in a pear tree.....nope, that's just the Vorwerks tree climbing again...oh, and not forgetting the O(ld man of the)H(ils) and the Offsprung.

Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Post by Birdxman » 15 Dec 2010, 14:53

Thank you efwellywoman.
Ive had a look-bit daunting but i'll see what I can make of it.
We do have some Lemon Cuckoo pullets as well so I'll use them anyway.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 15 Dec 2010, 15:37

Yes, Birdxman, in Orps Lemon Cuckoo is buff with the barring gene added. The males always look more dramatic than the females because the barring gene is sex linked which means hens can only have one copy of the gene whereas cockerels can have two. And it has a sort of additive effect.
If you cross a Lemon Cuckoo ♂ to Buff ♀'s this will give you more Lemon Cuckoos. This mating also helps to eradicate/reduce the grey cuckoo tail feathers that one often sees in LCs.
If you have nothing
Give it away

Birdxman
Chick
Chick

Post by Birdxman » 16 Dec 2010, 12:49

Thank you Hen-gen,thats just what I was hoping for. Im going to run two pens this year, one with all Lemon cuckoo's and one with a Lemon cuckoo cock with some Buff hens.
I just love the colour and barring on these birds so want to get some more.
Thank you

storminstaffs

Post by storminstaffs » 17 Dec 2010, 17:06

I hatched these out on halloween are they both roo's?

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 17 Dec 2010, 18:54

Look like boys to me.......
(but then I'm easy to fool - had a Crele 'pullet' last year who had me convinced....... until 'she' started to crow at eighteen months.....) #-o

storminstaffs

Post by storminstaffs » 17 Dec 2010, 19:19

efwellywoman wrote:Look like boys to me.......
(but then I'm easy to fool - had a Crele 'pullet' last year who had me convinced....... until 'she' started to crow at eighteen months.....) #-o
looks like i need to start finding new homes after xmas for these then :roll:

efwellywoman
Chick
Chick

Post by efwellywoman » 17 Dec 2010, 19:36

You could always do the table bird thing...........that's what I do with my spare boys cos they make great Sunday lunch..... Sorry....Don't hate me for it 8-[ ......(it's what they were originally bred for)