guinea fowl

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

kated
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Re: guinea fowl

Post by kated » 11 May 2010, 13:55

Gallina Blanca
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Gallina Blanca » 11 May 2010, 22:33

Ha, good one kated. V. interesting.

Yes, they definitely are here in Spain, but I wondered if they were the French kind or the English kind. If what Moxeeguy says is true the English kind must be the original wild ones, cos no self respecting breed is going to need artificial insemination. I find it hard to believe that the French ones were completely infertile, surely there must have been some natural fertilisation going on or how did they arise in the first place.

Unfortunately the ones that are here in Spain don't seem to be in Granada. Madrid, Asturias, Valencia, Salamanca...but not Granada. I'm even wondering about bringing back some eggs when I'm next in the UK. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 12 May 2010, 08:16

I doubt they were infertile. More likely it was the same with supr huge turkeys and the males and females were too fat to get their naughty places in contact with one another. Haha like some fat people i know :)

Also I don't think all the other ones are english guinea fowl so to speak. From what I can work out is the French ones were bred to be massive and the other ones are just your standard guinea fowl from wherever guinea fowl are from originally

moxeeguy

Post by moxeeguy » 13 May 2010, 02:21

Greggorio,

You got it ALL right. The French breed were too large or fat to successfully breed. Poultry farms went to artificial insemination. Other poultry farms perfected the JUMBO breed to the extent they're able to succeed in having sex where the French variety did not. The French were developed from the normal sized Helmeted Guineas. You surmised everything perfectly correct.

Moxeeguy

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 13 May 2010, 22:01

It's all the tea i drink. Helps me to look intelligent

moxeeguy

Post by moxeeguy » 13 May 2010, 22:26

Greggorio,

Whatever you're drinking...it works. I prefer cranberry juice to most other choices. The learning curve for guineas (poultry for that matter) is not too steep nor long...I just picked my knowledge or information over the last 10 years. I began with pigeons as a 9 yr old. I've had poultry of some sort for nearly 50 years...even house birds like parrots and also rabbits as pets. Now I'm getting ready to add Pea Fowl to a menagerie that includes; 33 chickens, 15 guineas (plus 65 eggs brooding/incubating), 6 geese, 8 ducks. Life is okay as long as the world economy doesn't falter more.

Moxeeguy

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 15 May 2010, 07:39

I've only been going a year but I was an internet addict before and now i combine the two so when the sun is up I do poultry and when it's not i read about them

moxeeguy

Post by moxeeguy » 15 May 2010, 14:26

Greggorio,

If you're into learning about poultry...this ought to pique your interest. I've been researching this subject for a couple weeks. There are several posts on forums by individuals who "cause or make" a chicken hen to go broody ! ! !

I've gotten a few opinions...some think it may not be true...one said it might be cruel. But the one person I respect the most...a professional poultry person from North Carolina who lectures on all types of poultry...says its true. This poultry person has had all types of poultry for 30+ years.

The routine goes like this: lock a chicken hen in a dark cozy nest box with nest making material for 24 hrs. There also must be 9-12 chicken eggs in the nest box for her to sit on. Allow a 15 minute daily break to eat & drink adequately then put her back inside the nest box. I've done this twice successfully in the last week...once with a hen I believed was leaning toward becoming broody...she is broody now...it required 2 days. The 2nd hen required 3 days. Prior to my confining the hen...she had no broody outward appearances...she is broody as can be now too.

Kinda interesting !

moxeeguy

Greggorio

Post by Greggorio » 15 May 2010, 17:58

I might give that a go. Make a post about it somewhere else as in the Guinea fowl topic isn't the best place. But I may give it a try and see if it works and get back to you. None of my hens in a year have ever gone broody or even got close so it would be interesting to try with mine

moxeeguy

Post by moxeeguy » 16 May 2010, 03:07

Greggorio,

If you do so...realize I use Game Fowl hens. They are significantly more prone to become broody than a regular egg laying hen. I would not recommend a white egg laying chicken; like Leghorn, Andalusian, Minorca. Best bet would be a Game Fowl, Cochin, Silkie, or a dual purpose breed such as an Orpington or Welsummer.

moxeeguy

Gallina Blanca
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Gallina Blanca » 25 May 2010, 22:49

Ok, just back from the UK with 6 guinea eggs. They've been through the post and in a suitcase on the plane, so I don't hold out much hope, but I'm putting them on tomorrow evening. We shall see.

moxeeguy

Post by moxeeguy » 11 Aug 2010, 06:55

I have nearly completed the guinea keet hatching season here....about 200 keets hatched. I have a sizable flock of Game Fowl and let the broody hens hatch out 15 nests with about 15 guinea eggs in each clutch. I have been allowing a Game Fowl hen to raise multiple broods...3 broods at a time giving a hen as many as 40 keets to run around the property with.

Gallina Blanca
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Gallina Blanca » 11 Aug 2010, 14:52

Hey Moxeguy, that's production on industrial levels. What do you do with them? And what do you do about predators? Do they go inside at night?

My pitiful 6 eggs turned into 3 keets ( one had to be culled). They're now 7 weeks old and are living with a little black cockerel of about the same age who was brought in to the neighbours living room by their cat. He's proving very useful (after the first few days when he attacked them all, himself being only half their size at the time) teaching them chickeny ways of behaviour. They now approach instead of retreating when I open their run, and I'm not so worried about the day they first go free range. However, I'm busy building them a new palace at the moment for while we're on holiday. Don't want them free ranging until we get back.

moxeeguy

Post by moxeeguy » 12 Aug 2010, 13:59

Gallina Blanca,

I sell the guinea keets that I don't want to keep. There's a demand for guineas...more for adults or nearly adult guineas. I sell them cheap...$6 each. I expect to cover my annual poultry feed bill....at a minimum...which is $15/wk.

My flock of Game Fowl mother hens...I have about 20 of them...add 6-8 new chicks (pullets) each year to replace the older game hens or ones that disappear outside my property fence from coyotes. I have a 6ft tall perimeter fence surrounding my home....enclosed 2.5 acres from the total of 20 acres. The fence is impregnable. Raptors are no threat from above. Inside the fenced compound...the area is poultry heaven...2 acres of turf grass....and no threats from any predators. I even had 2 guinea hens succeed in brooding nests of 20 eggs each on the ground...hatched about 15 keets from each guinea hen. The majority of the egg brooding work was done by my Game Fowl hens brooding 17 clutches of the guinea eggs. I'd say 5 of my hens sat for 2 months (hatching close to 25 keets total) from 2 consecutive clutches of guinea eggs. I just grabbed the hatched keets and gave them 15 more eggs. I collected 300+ eggs from my modestly small flock of 6 guinea hens (2 roosters) between mid-April and mid-July. Now I have more than 100 keets with still 1 more clutch of eggs due to hatch in the next few days. A young guinea hen will lay 100 eggs during their spring/summer seasons. The guinea fowl hens drop off egg production as they age...maybe 10-15 eggs fewer per year. I've read of old hens laying 10 eggs...at 9 yrs old...like someone's grandma giving birth...LOL

My birds are safe at night in a long open (missing) door shed-barn...60ft long...20ft deep with a double pitched roof....roosting up in the rafters...about 10ft off the ground. They are out of sight under the roof...both Guinea Fowl and Game Fowl...like a big happy family. They are fine even in the cold winter weather... -10f degrees for a week at night in the coldest years.
Moxeeguy

moxeeguy

Post by moxeeguy » 12 Aug 2010, 14:24

Apparently the French variety of Guinea Fowl...are thriving in France...but limited to being Pearl Gray color. Now in the USA...they are bred in the Brown as well as Pearl Gray colors. From what I've learned....the French variety of Guinea Fowl were infertile in the USA...due to the rapid weight gain. The breeders have perfected the weight gain issues and now the Jumbo (formerly called French) guinea fowl are both fertile...& 3-4 lbs larger than the standard Helmeted Guinea Fowl.

On a side note. This summer's keet harvest includes about 25 of the Buff Dundotte/Buff/Ivory colors. I've gotten a few Chocolate and innumerable Brown, Pearl Gray and Royal Purple keets....some being pied too. They are a pretty flock of keets....fun to watch running and flying around the yard and following their broody mom Game Fowl hen like a herd of sheep. When I step outside into the yard....they rush, fly and run to greet me...begging for a handout. This years flock of keets is void of any blue colors...close to 6 different blue colors...and I have none. I'll get many blue colored keets next year...since my Porcelain colored guinea roo will have all the various colored hens to himself. I have Slate, Royal Purple, Pearl Gray, Ivory, Buff and Buff Dundotte colored hens.