Marans

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Re: Marans

Post by Wilt » 04 Feb 2011, 11:30

Lindsay wrote:re Feathered legs - all the Marans I've seen in this area (Central France) have clean legs.
The clean legged Cuckoo were re-exported to France some years ago. But we refer to the semi leg feathered marans as French standard, you would have to take that up with Allan Heeks of the Marans club of GB ;)
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 04 Feb 2011, 11:42

Lindsay wrote:re Feathered legs - all the Marans I've seen in this area (Central France) have clean legs.
Hi there - I have heard that a lot of the Marans in France are clean legged, so it is interesting to hear from someone who has seen for themselves

Out of interest what colour on the egg scale chart do you thing most of them are laying, and what are the egg sizes and egg laying abilities like?

Many thanks
:) Sue
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 04 Feb 2011, 12:29

2 years ago I hatch 6 French Maranses - I was lucky enough to get 5 girls (3 black, 2 blue) and 1 boy (Splash) - all the girls were feather legged but the boy had none!!! I sold the black girls and hatched some of my own (as well as a some from elsewhere) from him and the 2 blues, also hatched lots more over the year for friends -all his offspring have feathered legs like their mum's. I now have him and 6 girls (got another 4 girls from the eggs I hatched from elsewhere), the 2 blues, another light silvery blue and 3 splash - all the girls have feathered legs.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 04 Feb 2011, 17:37

Sue - I had a look at the chart you posted a few days ago, and I'm afraid that mine don't come close to even the lightest of those eggs. I bought them at a market from a big commercial grower, and as the eggs were for home consumption it doesn't bother me (much!).

However, they each lay most days and the eggs are definitely brown with darker brown spots. They are a good size too.

Dice

Post by Dice » 06 Feb 2011, 22:01

Wilt wrote:Yes all the cocks would be dark (1 copy) cuckoo and the pullets would all be black. There will possibly be an amount of the RIR showing through the black.
Thanks for that.

Dice

Post by Dice » 06 Feb 2011, 22:26

If my Cuckoo Maran hen was put with my Barred Rock cockerel would that be Speckledy offspring? Would these be sex linked. Sorry for all the questions but making my arrangements for the spring. I want to produce hybrids of quality and need the advice. Cheers.

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 08 Feb 2011, 15:55

Hen-Gen is the expert on this one. But with a barred cockerel all offspring will be barred, because barring is dominant to cuckoo. But I think if you have a cuckoo cockerel on barred hens it is sex linked. I think that is the case but don't bet your house on it. Hopefully Hen-Gen can iron it out for us?

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 08 Feb 2011, 16:05

Ex - as in past it
Spurt - as in a big drip

I prefer enthusiast! :grin:
And Wilt is totally correct on what he says. =D>
If you have nothing
Give it away

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 08 Feb 2011, 17:57

Big drip, under pressure Murray! :lol: :lol: :thumbright:

Dice

Post by Dice » 08 Feb 2011, 23:43

Hen-Gen wrote:Ex - as in past it
Spurt - as in a big drip

I prefer enthusiast! :grin:
And Wilt is totally correct on what he says. =D>

Thanks guys. Your knowledge and keeness to pass it on is very much appreciated.

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 16 Feb 2011, 01:51

Thought you all may be interested in this picture which was posted on the French Marans Club website forum for comments

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1378/dscn3098peq.jpg

And the reply by the clubs Vice President that it is a perfect example of a colour 4 egg

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info

charliebear85

Post by charliebear85 » 03 Mar 2011, 12:35

hi everyone

i was just wondering if anyone cud tell me if this is a maran it hatched out of a mixed batch of eggs
ive been looking at pics of marans and it looks similar but im not 100% sure

heres the chick at 11 days old :)

sorry about the pic quality and has anyone got any idea on sex?
i think its male but not sure

cheers

tweedy
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by tweedy » 03 Mar 2011, 12:39

I though male marans had a white dot on there head as chicks, i may be wrong.

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 03 Mar 2011, 12:43

It looks like a Marans chick, and it looks more like a girl to me, but it is difficult to say from a photo, and it depends on the breeding. But I think you might be lucky.

All the best
Sue

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 03 Mar 2011, 14:15

tweedy wrote:I though male marans had a white dot on there head as chicks, i may be wrong.
Yes you are right Tweedy but only if its pure bred and not always totally reliable either i,ve found,pics are,nt great CB85 possibilty it is a Marans cross,leg colour certainly looks exactly the same as a Marans chick but that can change too, i think the grey colouring looks a bit too lavendery(is that a word) if you know what i,m saying,you might have to wait for it to feather up a bit more and the barring will come through if it is a Maran.