Marans

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Re: Marans

Post by darkbrowneggs » 23 Jan 2011, 12:36

WHEATEN & BLUE MARANS

Hi all - as you know I keep the English Cuckoo Marans, but I am continually asked for Wheaten and all sorts of Blue Marans, so if anyone has, or is going to have spare birds or eggs if they would like to let me know I can make a note of their contact details and pass them on.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info

kimera

Post by kimera » 23 Jan 2011, 12:52

Here's a blue copper for you:

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 23 Jan 2011, 13:15

Thanks for the lovely photo :grin: but what I was really posting for was to ask if there are contact details that I can pass on to others who come to me because my birds lay dark eggs, but they want the different feather colours.

I know a few people who keep French copper blacks and French whites and English cuckoos and bantam Marans, but I don't know many in the different areas of the country that keep Wheaten and Blues, so if there were people then if I had an enquiry I could pass it on to someone who could help :grin:

all the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see www.thebusphoebeandme.us For lots of info on keeping and breeding Marans see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Chris Kurzfeld
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by Chris Kurzfeld » 24 Jan 2011, 05:40

I am in Carmarthenshire and have a breeding pen of a Copper Splash cock to 6 copper splash and blue girls - they are just beginning to lay well now.
Chris

love me, love my 4 dogs, 3 cats, over 100 chickens (but don't tell OH) and 7 sheep - oops, almost forgot the 2 tanks of fish!

I live in my own little world but it's ok - they know me here!

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 24 Jan 2011, 08:44

Here is a copper (Red/Brown) family group.

Sue, if you would like to borrow my blackest hen to put your cock bird to, it will take a couple of season to rid the leg feather but the egg colour will stay.

No Gerry Mandering has gone on with the colour of these eggs! ;)
Chickens, are also food for the soul!

http://www.coachhousecochins.com

julieszoo

Post by julieszoo » 24 Jan 2011, 22:24

Those look good enough to eat ;)

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 24 Jan 2011, 22:42

Hi Wilt - Did you get my PM :)

Sue

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 25 Jan 2011, 13:27

darkbrowneggs wrote:Hi Wilt - Did you get my PM :)

Sue
Yes Sue, any time will do let me know the day before so I can catch her without distress.

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 25 Jan 2011, 16:01

wilt why aint my maran(cuckoo) got leg feathers ?

french bred =feathers
english bred=clean legged ?

sorry to sound do stupid

laffinfowl
Hen
Hen

Post by laffinfowl » 25 Jan 2011, 16:12

You,ve just answered your own question there PC :-'''

darkbrowneggs
Chick
Chick

Post by darkbrowneggs » 25 Jan 2011, 16:17

Lord Greenway first imported Marans from France in 1929 then again in 1930. I think he decided to breed out the feathering on the legs simply by selecting the unfeathered ones, so presumably the feathering in the French is variable ie none, light feathered, heavily feathered.

I may have incorrect information, but I understand the French re-imported some of our stock after the devastation of the Second World War, so presumably they then had to breed the feathering to the legs back in again :) .

All the best
Sue

petchickens

Post by petchickens » 25 Jan 2011, 16:56

laffinfowl wrote:You,ve just answered your own question there PC :-'''

:grin: :thumbright:

Dice

Post by Dice » 03 Feb 2011, 23:34

I have a young very docile Cuckoo Maran hen. Residing with her is young Rhode Island Red cockerel of the same age. Would this pairing throw out Star as in the young being sex linked? Has anyone done this? Tell me what you think.

Wilt
Pullet
Pullet

Post by Wilt » 04 Feb 2011, 07:48

Yes all the cocks would be dark (1 copy) cuckoo and the pullets would all be black. There will possibly be an amount of the RIR showing through the black.

Lindsay
Hen
Hen

Post by Lindsay » 04 Feb 2011, 10:14

re Feathered legs - all the Marans I've seen in this area (Central France) have clean legs.