The Groninger

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

The Groninger

Post by stephen » 15 Jun 2008, 13:28

The Groninger

Clucky

Post by Clucky » 15 Jun 2008, 13:53

The Groninger...

All following information from Feathersite

If you like the Fresian but stockier, this is the one for you.
This Dutch breed is related to the Fresian but is around 25% larger, with the males weighing around 2.5 kilograms (6 pounds). They are excellent foragers and good winter layers.

They are only found in two colors: "Zilverpel" (white with black markings) and "Goudpel" (golden brown with black markings). The eye is brown and the tail should not be carried higher than 60 degrees, unlike the similar Fresians, which carry their tails at nearly 90 degrees.

The Groninger Meeuwen were nearly extinct in 1980, with only 26 birds left, but fortunately a group of poultry enthusiasts in The Netherlands took notice of the breed and have brought it back.
One for my wish list!

paulfgb

Re: The Groninger

Post by paulfgb » 25 Sep 2010, 03:09

A picture from a show I judged..

Very pretty bantams
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hen-Gen
Hen
Hen

Post by Hen-Gen » 25 Sep 2010, 11:09

Never seen one. Years ago was an article (in PP, I think) about a guy who did Silver Campine X Black Australorp matings. They looked just like these but were productive aswell. Always stuck in my mind as one for the future! :grin:
If you have nothing
Give it away

CP

Post by CP » 25 Sep 2010, 11:11

They're very pretty birds! :grin: Bet they don't come in bantam version. :|
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

storminstaffs

Post by storminstaffs » 25 Sep 2010, 21:41

paulfgb wrote:A picture from a show I judged..

Very pretty bantams
wow :grin:

NCOTB
Pullet
Pullet

Post by NCOTB » 26 Sep 2010, 00:51

Very pretty :grin:

Lisleoise

Post by Lisleoise » 26 Sep 2010, 08:30

Beautiful :thumbright: