Lakenvelders

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

CP

Lakenvelders

Post by CP » 29 Dec 2007, 23:55

Thread for Lakenvelders.

Magpie

Post by Magpie » 30 Dec 2007, 20:47

Thanks for the thread :wink:

I have managed to take a couple of decent photos at last, so here you go:

These are two of my original birds, about 2 and a half years old I guess. They don't always show their best plumage till after their third moult so these are now looking pretty good :D

Tim

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 30 Dec 2007, 21:28

they are so stunning :D
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

Tarka

Post by Tarka » 30 Dec 2007, 21:38

Hey Magpie , what crackers they are 8)
Do the hens lay well ?

Magpie

Post by Magpie » 30 Dec 2007, 23:01

Yes Tarka, they lay pretty well but not at this time of year :twisted: Haven't had an egg from them since August :? . Should start again in February I hope, then it is usually 1 egg per day per bird.

And so far 100% fertile :lol: I was told when I got them that they are like rabbits!

Tim

CP

Post by CP » 31 Dec 2007, 03:03

Beautiful birds! :D

Do they come in bantam size too? :?:

leghorn_guy

Post by leghorn_guy » 31 Dec 2007, 14:21

CP wrote:Beautiful birds! :D

Do they come in bantam size too? :?:
of course, and the birds in these pictures are bantams...
it's one of the most beautiful breeds, it's unique, that colour pattern doesn't occur in other breeds!!
there's an argument between the Netherlands and Germany for the paternity of lakenvelder!

bronskibeat
Hen
Hen

Post by bronskibeat » 11 Jan 2008, 08:51

Beautiful pics magpie, I love them. Anyone any idea where there are some large size ones? :lol:

Magpie

Post by Magpie » 11 Jan 2008, 21:30

If you're feeling rich Wernlas do them :) I've not seen them anywhere else in the UK but they must be about somewhere.

Tim

chris-yorkie

Post by chris-yorkie » 19 Apr 2008, 21:00

Hi Magpie, Am new to The Poultry Keeper but thought that the photos are great. Hope to get some Lakenvelder eggs next month for incubation. Don't seem to be able to purchase live stock. Looking forward to rearing and possibly breeding. They will be free range and our house is next to a private wood so they will enjoy their lives one hopes.
Regards
Chris (yorkie = Yorkshire)

Magpie

Post by Magpie » 19 Apr 2008, 21:55

Hi there, I don't know about LF ones but if you have bantams free ranging anywhere near trees you know where they will want to spend the night :lol: My bantams do not free range - too many pests around.

They are stunning birds though and very active. I have some chicks in the brooder at the moment :D

Tim

SkyChild
Chick
Chick

Post by SkyChild » 20 Nov 2008, 21:46

They are stunning! Do they make for good first-time chickens? I'm trying to find out which breeds would be a good start. Magpie, do you sell your chicks? Sounds like you could make quite a business out of them.

I love the colouring, it's ever so striking.

Magpie

Post by Magpie » 21 Nov 2008, 01:14

Hi, I started with some hybrid layers and I think that something less flighty like the hybrids might be the best place to start TBH. The bantam Lakenvelders aren't easy to handle, don't really tame as such and personally I wouldn't let them free range since they will be straight up the nearest tree when it starts to get dark :roll: I've not had any LF ones but suspect they might be better if you can find them.

Having said all that I wouldn't be without them :lol: And I'm looking forward to getting some blue marked ones in the not too distant future :roll:

Tim

SkyChild
Chick
Chick

Post by SkyChild » 26 Nov 2008, 13:42

Thanks Magpie, will keep an eye out for any LF ones, and post here if I find anything useful.

SkyChild
Chick
Chick

Re: Lakenvelders

Post by SkyChild » 26 Mar 2009, 12:25

www.groganonline.com

This gentleman seems to have LF Lakenvelder hatching eggs, if anyone's looking for a bigger version of Magpie's ones.
Personally I will be buying some, when I have time, space and a broody!

What do you reckon, Magpie? Are his ones any good?