Swedish Yellow Duck / Svensk Gul Anka

One thread for each breed. Threads are started by a moderator - add information about each breed, and contact us to add another.

Moderator: Moderators

nigel
Hen
Hen

Post by nigel » 31 Dec 2007, 14:51

leghorn_guy wrote:don't you have a standard for your breeds?
Not in the way that there are in England. It's one of the things I found hard to grasp when I first moved here. For all the landrace breeds [those covered by the SLK] they are not concerned with appearance only with keeping healthy utility stock. The Yellow duck was thought to be extinct in the 1970's but a small flock was found on a farm in Billinge - which is where I live. The actual farm is about 500m away from me, and belongs to one of my neighbours, much of our land shares boundaries. There were I believe around 30 found at Trumpetarbostället where they had been kept since the early 1930's. These formed the nucleus of the Yellow Duck Genebank. All birds bred from these original thirty or so have paperwork from the SLK. There is no standard as such, though I believe that yellow duck is a mistranslation. "Gul" in swedish does mean "yellow" but they also use it to describe the buff orpington for example, so I think that buff duck would be a better translation I doubt it will catch on though.

Don't know if this interests you but in the last census [2006] there were 137 yellow ducks [47male 90female] kept in 24 registered flocks. There were 146 eggs hatched in 2006 [103 naturally 43 incubator]. The average number of eggs per duck per year [since records started in 1993] is 112.81 with an average weight of 79.67g. The average male weighs 3.11kg and female 2.86kg

Anne

Swedish Blue Ducks

Post by Anne » 02 Oct 2009, 18:07

Do you have a picture of your yellows Nigel? didn't even know you could get them. Are they large ducks like the blue and what sort of nature do they have?

nigel
Hen
Hen

Re: Swedish Blue Ducks

Post by nigel » 02 Oct 2009, 21:13

Anne wrote:Do you have a picture of your yellows Nigel? didn't even know you could get them. Are they large ducks like the blue and what sort of nature do they have?
There are some pictures here

http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/vi ... 52&start=0

I'll have to take some more since this years hatch have been much paler and more buff than brown. I've also translated - well tried to - a much better history of the breed so i'll have to get round to adding that too
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard

Anne

Re: Swedish Blue Ducks

Post by Anne » 03 Oct 2009, 12:32

Very pretty ducks - have you managed to increase their numbers as I see that they are rare - they deserve to be seen more - so pretty. Do you sell them yet?

nigel
Hen
Hen

Re: Swedish Yellow Duck / Svensk Gul Anka

Post by nigel » 06 Oct 2009, 06:01

we started out this year with just a pair. Earlier this year e managed to get hold of another pair raising our total to four.

This year they have hatched another six now bringing us up to ten. Though the overall numbers have decreased to 139 :(

I'll see if they will pose for photographs today

Here's a potted history of the breed
The first mention of a native Swedish duck in a yellow coloured variety was in 1871. By the 1950s, it was the second most popular breed in Sweden, kept primarily for egg production. By the 1970s it was considered extinct but a small breeding population was discovered in Billinge, a small village in Skåne. Tyra Johansson at Trumpetar Bostället had kept the breed from extinction. It is from the small flock in Billinge [about five hundred meters up the E13 from us] that all the Yellow Ducks registered in the Gene Bank were bred. There has been some increase in numbers thanks mainly to the efforts of the Svenska Lanthönsklubben, though the Yellow Duck population is still small and it is considered one of the most endangered of Swedish land races.

The Yellow Duck was originally bred by Måns Eriksson of Svalöv and were called Svalövanka [literally Svalöv ducks]. He is reputed to have bred them because of complaints about his blue ducks not being a consistent colour and because of this some people doubted they were pure Swedish Blues. Genetically Blue is often a dilution of black and breeding a blue duck to a blue duck gives 50% Blue 25% Black and 25% Splash [i.e. a double dilution]. After the complaints he decided to breed his own race that was a better colour. He started crossing his blue ducks with a trio of crude yellow multicoloured ducks [sometimes described as English Khaki Campbells] he had bought locally Skånsk spa town Mölle. In a Swedish Poultry magazine in 1940 he wrote that he had also used “a white male from a different breed”. From the very outset the Blue and the Yellow Ducks had Swedish land race origins. The first breed standard for the Yellow Duck was adopted in 1919.

The Yellow Duck has a rectangular body that is medium in width. The head is medium sized. The line of the back is slightly convex. It has a medium length neck and a horizontal rather than an upright posture. The colouring can vary from pale yellowish to a dark brown with the wing and tail feathers being a lighter colour than the rest of the body. The females are almost always the same colour throughout. The males have a darker grey\brown tones to the head and neck. The beak is greenish blue in males and brownish blue in females and the legs are orange.

Like all land race breeds it is well adapted to its environment and has good resistance to common diseases. The Lanthönsklubben consider it vital that these characteristics are maintained.

The Yellow Duck isn’t the ultimate utility duck, but it combines good laying ability with good meat production. The yellow lays better than Blue but is considered to be slightly smaller. Though recent census weights recorded by the Lanthönsklubben show that in recent years the Yellow has in fact been the same if not slightly larger than the Blue.

They lay around eighty to one hundred and fifty white eggs per year. Like all land race breeds they are not naturally broody, but if given a quiet and secluded spot they do manage to hatch around 25 to 50%.

Males weigh around 3.0 to 4.0kg and females 2.5 to 3.5kg
NOTE
this is a translation from the original Swedish any mistakes are purely my own.
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use
-Kirkegaard