Broody yet AGAIN!

From Orpingtons to Ostrich. Hybrids, pure breeds or just your breeds. Watermael to waterfowl. Put all your general posts here.

Moderator: Moderators

boaters
Chick
Chick

Broody yet AGAIN!

Post by boaters » 04 Aug 2018, 12:48

My black rock isn't even a year old yet (although very close) and she's gone broody for the 3rd time in 4 months. Is this usual? The first couple of occasions I put her in a crate and she was OK after 3 days and nights in there. I really hated doing it to her. I've just put her in the crate again, less than 2 months after the last recovery...grrrr. What brings this on? She's one of 5 and the others are all behaving. Before this lot I had chooks for 5 years and never had a broody. Does the hot weather have any bearing (plenty of water, shade and dust).
Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks.

CP

Re: Broody yet AGAIN!

Post by CP » 04 Aug 2018, 13:34

I think you've just been unlucky.
Some are more inclined to go broody than others.

Breed doesn't necessarily matter, either. :roll:

You just have to keep persevering to break her or let her sit, it's up to you really.
Shame they can be so persistent though as they can lose condition & of course it means less eggs for you. :(
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

boaters
Chick
Chick

Post by boaters » 04 Aug 2018, 19:01

Thanks for responding - just my luck!

I'm concerned that if she keeps being aggressive towards the others when they try to get in the nesting box she'll stop them laying as well, so I guess I'll persevere with the crate! There are 2 perfectly good nesting boxes side by side, but of course they all want to use the same one!

JD

CP

Post by CP » 04 Aug 2018, 19:48

"There are 2 perfectly good nesting boxes side by side, but of course they all want to use the same one!"

Yep, that's usual too! :lol:
Happy in Hampshire!

"If your hate could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world" - Nikola Tesla

"Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the error that counts" - Nikki Giovanni

''The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind.'' - Albert Schweitzer

"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

"A nation can survive its fools, but it cannot survive treason from within." - Cicero

MamaOwl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MamaOwl » 09 Aug 2018, 12:52

I had a perma-broody hen once. Even putting ice packs in her nest box didn't stop her. She just sat on them to heat them up!! lol
Mum to 5, grandmother to 2, wife to 1