Ice Cream

Share your favourite poultry & egg related recipes.

Moderator: Moderators

summayah

Post by summayah » 18 Apr 2005, 14:24

yes, I do, it was the italian one that would only take credit cards, using the link that admin gave us for an excellent deal
He just emailed again (17.10) and they're going to amend my order and I'll get it cod. Bother...I had visitors today and gave them all my eggs ~ come on girls get busy, we've ice cream to make and lemon curd...I've got the lemons and the cream

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 22 Apr 2005, 19:51

well it's whirling round 40 minutes to go.
Think I poured it in too slow though, the outside is frozen already.
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 22 Apr 2005, 21:13

I made mine, we had some for dessert, i couldn't finish my 2 scoops, it was just too rich. Mark lapped it up, I can see he'll be eating the rest :?

Gina

Post by Gina » 22 Apr 2005, 21:16

I have a very sweet tooth but can't eat homemade like shop brought....home made just need a couple of spoonfuls and it is perfect amount!

summayah

Post by summayah » 22 Apr 2005, 21:23

what flavour did you make, nannyp?

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 22 Apr 2005, 21:27

Deb's Vanilla, first one on this thread. Unbelievably rich. it's funny, to look at me, you'd think I could and do eat loads of that sort of stuff, but I can't, it's just too much, in fact, I'm nearly not liking it, which is a shame. I will try other recipes and see how they are. This one used nearly a whole pint of double cream, I wonder whether there are lower fat recipes which I might find more palatable?

summayah

Post by summayah » 22 Apr 2005, 21:35

there ought to be some lower fat ones, or maybe you can substitute half fat cream. I have no idea how it works, but someone on here probably will come up with a suggestion. What a shame, after looking forward to it for so long. Maybe the lemon curd will be more to your taste, as it usually has a bit of a tang. My daughter loves my lemon meringue pie because of the tang with the sweet on top.

debcat
Welsummer Cockerel
Welsummer Cockerel

Post by debcat » 22 Apr 2005, 21:42

It's all gone :oops:
chocolate with chocolate chips, between four of us.
The kids want some for breakfast as well :roll:
I only like the chocolaty ones though and they want to try banana next :(
I can see I will be using it loads

Any one got a recipe for baileys ice cream?
we're all sane it's the rest of the world thats mad!

NannyP

Post by NannyP » 22 Apr 2005, 22:21

:lol: :icescream:

Knobby

Post by Knobby » 23 Apr 2005, 07:35

The kids want some for breakfast as well
Oh, thats just disgusting !!
(Its the sort of thing I wouldve wanted when i was a kid :shock: )

stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by stephen » 23 Apr 2005, 07:51

NannyP wrote:This one used nearly a whole pint of double cream, I wonder whether there are lower fat recipes which I might find more palatable?
I'll find the bit in the Definitive Guide for you about the different creams. IIRC, the main effect the different types of cream have is how smooth it is - which can be corrected with eggs. High-fat creams (such as double) are about 50-60% butterfat. Most of the recipes I use are either whipping cream (c. 30%) or about 1/3 double to 2/3 milk (c. 20-30%). One made purely with double cream would be far too much, I agree.
Stephen

Lisa

Post by Lisa » 23 Apr 2005, 08:02

Can you substitute yogurt (and more eggs) for some or all of the double cream?

I'm thinking bio yogurt and lots of nutritious eggs.... that's gotta be health food :roll: :lol:

summayah

Post by summayah » 23 Apr 2005, 08:02

so, canyou adapt any recipe that asked for double cream to your own preference ?

stephen
Dutch Bantam Cockerel
Dutch Bantam Cockerel

Post by stephen » 23 Apr 2005, 08:20

According to the recipe book, yes. It's all to do with the feel in the mouth, rather than an overwelming need for butterfat.

If it asks for double cream, then substituting that for whipping cream or 2/3 double to 1/3 milk is fine. Yoghurt makes quite a stiff ice cream with a fair degree of ice crystals in, but is lovely. The less fat, the firmer the ice cream.
Stephen

summayah

Post by summayah » 23 Apr 2005, 08:21

you're just a mine of information, aren't you? thanks for being here and helping us all